Katie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Maggie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lily

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recent Homicide

I didn't sleep very well last night.  In the almost five years we've lived in this neighborhood, I have never felt unsafe.  In fact, I have always felt so comfortable coming and going from our house that it never occurred to me that anything bad would ever happen so close to home.  Even after my mother-in-law experienced the worst kind of terror from a break-in of her own, I still felt relatively safe in my own home.  However, I think that has all changed for me.  The other night, an 83-year old woman was killed in her home just near the entrance to our subdivision.  The person who committed this awful crime is still out there...

After discussing the incident with Jimmy, he mentioned learning about some other small car thefts in the back part of the neighborhood during the last homeowner's meeting.  I guess when you don't know your neighbors and, in turn, don't talk to your neighbors, how would you ever learn of such things?  I'm glad we are slowly getting to know our neighbors now and that we can all keep a look out for unusual behavior.

I'm just feeling sick about it all.  Jimmy assures me that no one is immune to this sort of thing, no matter where you live.  Even the "nice" parts have their fair share of break-ins.  He also says that most homicides are done by people who know the victim.  However, in this case, I'm thinking this woman was being watched by no one she knew because of her age and very poor health condition - an easy robbery.  But, based on her poor health condition, why did he have to kill her?  What kind of threat did this poor woman pose?  

I have two beautiful daughters and one pending fetus due to arrive in January.  I already do everything in my power to keep them safe.  Do we really need a new fear hanging over our heads like this?  I sure hope this case is resolved immediately.  I doubt whatever the outcome is will make me feel all that much better, but perhaps it will provide me a little closure and maybe some peace.  Truth be told, I'm really just hoping it's not gang related!  I'm also hoping Jimmy will forget that he said he wants me to learn how to shoot a gun!  

1 comment:

HeyJude said...

I hope you're feeling better now that an arrest has been made... it helped me to know my perpetrator was locked up. There is no guarantee that crime won't happen to anyone...all we can do is be aware of our surroundings and not get negligent or complacent about doors, locks, habits, etc. I've had you in my prayers...we have to trust in Him to guide and protect us.