Katie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Maggie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lily

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nostalgia

Last Saturday, the family headed to Reynolds Coliseum to watch an NC State basketball practice. Apparently, the #1 and #2 recruits were there, so it was a pretty big deal for die hard fans like Jimmy Wilson.  (I know I probably screwed that up, too.  Maybe #1 in the nation and #2 in the state???  I guess I should listen better.)

We haven't been inside Reynolds since we were students and State played its final game against Carolina before moving to the ESA now RBC Center.  We camped out for those tickets, or I should say Jimmy camped out for those tickets.  The Brent Rd. roommates had a party that weekend with keg beer.  There was so much beer left over, and of course no one ever wants it to go to waste, so in the absence of jugs, we put the beer in a bunch of tupperware containers. BRILLIANT!  I remember heading out there one morning to check on the boys and smelling stale beer and their sweaty nastiness.  I think Kerri was visiting that weekend, but I think we camped out to get those tickets for Andy and Steve.  It's coming back to me...  it was standing room only, and at one point Jimmy jumped up while cheering and broke a light fixture with his head!

Those were the good ole days.  But, back to reality...

Katie and Maggie were on their best behaviors during practice (we stayed for one hour).  Katie was so excited to cheer for State.  She was even more excited to wear big girl underwear and keep them dry during practice, "No pee pee at basketball game."  She kept them dry, too. Hooray!

After the practice, we headed over to the student bookstore to find new shirts to sport.  It was pretty chaotic, so we gave up rather quickly.  Then, we drove through campus on our way to Cloo's for chili hot dog lunch, another old staple we indulged in while we were students.  Driving through campus it hit me, we're old.  I think I even said something like, "Holy crap, it's been 10 years since we were in college.  Now look at us, we have two kids in the back seat and I'm lactating."

Time flies when you're having fun.

3 comments:

Lucky said...

This quote is classic.
"Holy crap, it's been 10 years since we were in college. Now look at us, we have two kids in the back seat and I'm lactating."

Anonymous said...

"Old" is a relative term ... I think I'm old until I see Granny doing so well at nearly 86 ... but time is a relative thing and it does seem to go by faster the older you get! Enjoy every day!!!
Grandma Judy

Top Jimmy said...

I seem to remember it being a keg of Carolina Pale Ale, which smelled especially sour after going flat in tupperware over the course of 24 hours, despite the 40 degree night. Oh, and it was your brother's borrowed tent, which of course was ruined.

And we made Andy and Steve-burger climb all those steps up to Mitch's before the game to grab a beer. Those fools wore their Carolina hats and got booed louder with every step... Of course, State lost the game.

Anyway, I know how you felt. For 5 minutes as we drove around on campus, I felt like we should be giving a speech at freshman orientation about how quickly the next ten years of their lives will go by...