Katie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Maggie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lily

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Blast from the Past

So, my "vacation" of a week of sick leave (for being sick) followed by 2 days (for being a new dad) is coming to an end.  And what better way to re-immerse myself in the doggone real world than to watch a presidential debate.  I'm being sarcastic.  

What once promised (to me at least) to be a monumentally important campaign, featuring two equally competent candidates, has taken true form as a sophomoric mud-slinging expression of generalities.  

40 minutes in and Karla and I were joking about making a drinking game out of every mention of "my friends", "deficit", "tax breaks", "pork barrel", "tax credit", "small business" etc.  I think we would have done it, too, if Karla weren't still on pain pills and I didn't have the remnants of a head cold.

I've always been a registered Democrat and Karla a Republican.  But I think we both have issues with our respective "parties" that keep us open to alternatives.

So, I was excited and really wanted to hear either McCain or Obama convince me to vote for one or the other.  Here we have two candidates who don't fit the mold. Obama, a chance at being a great unifier, a beacon of hope and compromise.  McCain, a war hero and a non-Republican Republican who has crossed party lines to get things done for years. Man, you'd think 8 years of W would make this campaign like shooting fish in a barrel for either one of these guys, but all I have heard is "blah blah blah" and "my (senate record) is bigger than yours".  

Anyway, maybe it's just exhaustion and not wanting to go back to work, or maybe it's John McCain's smugness, Barack Obama's sarcastic condescending smile, or the endless stream of campaign ads, but color me officially cynical.  But why should I digress when the writers of the Simpsons said it all, years ago.  As true today as it was when it was written...  Enjoy...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! That clip was funny!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That clip was funny!