
We recently had a stage two ultrasound because of our abnormal AFP screen results. This news of abnormal numbers sent me into a frantic whirlwind of emotions. I was so angry with myself for taking the test to begin with. I know there are so many false positives, why would I risk such unnecessary stress to myself or the baby? It was a last minute decision. I took the test when I was pregnant with Katie, so why not take it again with this one? Lesson learned.
The genetic counselor explained everything quite well. Basically, my risk of having a kid with Down Syndrome is about 1/650 just based on age alone. The statistic changed after adding my age risk to my blood work, which left me with a risk of 1/270. In the AFP screen, they look for 4 protein levels, two of which need to be above 1.0 and two of which need to be below 1.0 (alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), beta human chorionic gonadotropin (beta-hCG), a type of estrogen (unconjugated estriol, or uE3), and the level of hormone inhibin A. In my case, I think the level of inhibin was what sent up the red flag and triggered the call. Basically, they had ruled out the spina bifida and omphalocele (where the intestines stick out through the belly wall) based on my numbers, but were concerned with Downs (trisomy 21).
The ultrasound technician was young and nice, but uninformed as to our reason for being there. We clearly stated our wishes of not wanting to know the gender of the baby, if it could be avoided, until we left the office so that I could recover emotionally from this unnerving experience. We asked her to write down the gender on a piece of paper and allow us to view it after we left the office. I thought I was clear in my request.
The tech told us she didn't see any of those genetic markers associated with Downs kids on the ultrasound, so our risk was lowered by half. This was such a blessing, but it didn't change my desire to wait for gender results until after our visit ended. The doctor came into the room and took a look for himself on the ultrasound. He abruptly revealed the gender to us sending a wave of shock and disbelief to us both. My request wasn't honored, so it took me most of the day to stop crying...
We joked about wanting a boy, but the two of us have always said that we just want a healthy, happy baby, regardless. I know everyone says that, but obviously after the AFP results, it meant a lot more to us than gender. I've always said that I wanted Katie to have a sister someday. Sisters are spectacular, I should know, I have two of the best in the world. We're pleased and proud to bring another girl into the Wilson mix. But, poor Jimmy! That's a lot of estrogen!
The genetic counselor explained everything quite well. Basically, my risk of having a kid with Down Syndrome is about 1/650 just based on age alone. The statistic changed after adding my age risk to my blood work, which left me with a risk of 1/270. In the AFP screen, they look for 4 protein levels, two of which need to be above 1.0 and two of which need to be below 1.0 (alpha-fetoprotein (AFP), beta human chorionic gonadotropin (beta-hCG), a type of estrogen (unconjugated estriol, or uE3), and the level of hormone inhibin A. In my case, I think the level of inhibin was what sent up the red flag and triggered the call. Basically, they had ruled out the spina bifida and omphalocele (where the intestines stick out through the belly wall) based on my numbers, but were concerned with Downs (trisomy 21).
The ultrasound technician was young and nice, but uninformed as to our reason for being there. We clearly stated our wishes of not wanting to know the gender of the baby, if it could be avoided, until we left the office so that I could recover emotionally from this unnerving experience. We asked her to write down the gender on a piece of paper and allow us to view it after we left the office. I thought I was clear in my request.
The tech told us she didn't see any of those genetic markers associated with Downs kids on the ultrasound, so our risk was lowered by half. This was such a blessing, but it didn't change my desire to wait for gender results until after our visit ended. The doctor came into the room and took a look for himself on the ultrasound. He abruptly revealed the gender to us sending a wave of shock and disbelief to us both. My request wasn't honored, so it took me most of the day to stop crying...
We joked about wanting a boy, but the two of us have always said that we just want a healthy, happy baby, regardless. I know everyone says that, but obviously after the AFP results, it meant a lot more to us than gender. I've always said that I wanted Katie to have a sister someday. Sisters are spectacular, I should know, I have two of the best in the world. We're pleased and proud to bring another girl into the Wilson mix. But, poor Jimmy! That's a lot of estrogen!






1 comment:
Thanks for starting this blog. I can't wait to watch your family grow!
This was a beautiful post. Happy Mother's Day.
Post a Comment